Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dinner 09/07/2009

So yesterday was labor day, Monday, my day off. I did as little as possible, spent most of the day online. I didn't really eat a full meal until dinner time either. Being totally poor, trying to save money to move, I rummaged through current food supplies to try to come up with a tasty dish. pickins' were slim, but I managed to rustle up the fixins' for Pasta Carbonara. I even got a little creative with it. First off, I sliced up a yellow onion and caramelized it slowly over med. low heat in a tbsp. of olive oil and a tbsp. of butter, pinch of kosher salt to bring out the liquids quicker, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. I had some chicken tenders that had been frozen as well as some frozen spinach I thawed out. Then, I cut a few strips of bacon into lardons, and cooked them over medium, rendering out fat. Discarded most of the fat, reserved about a tbsp. to heat the spinach in. Meanwhile, the chicken is diced into bite-size pieces and cooked in olive oil over med. high heat. I used a little chicken stock to deglaze my pan, adding some more depth in flavor. Also during these steps, I had a pot of salted water starting to boil on the back burner for my pasta. Carbonara usually calls for spaghetti. I don't like spaghetti. I was originally shooting for linguine, but was out, so used farfalle (bowties) instead. Prior to all the cooking, in the prep stage, I had lightly beaten two eggs in a bowl, and stirred in about a cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano with some kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Cook the pasta until al dente, drain, add to the pan with the chicken, and toss in the bacon, spinach, and caramelized onions. Then off the heat toss in your egg/cheese mixture to coat the pasta. Et Voila!

Unfortunately, my timing was off, and the eggs did not cook as desired. It was delicious nonetheless.
I ate a shit ton of it, then saved the rest for Lisa.

It's now 12:25 on Tuesday. Supposed to start my diet today. So far, have only had coffee, but breakfast tacos sounds mighty tasty............

No comments:

Post a Comment