Friday, August 21, 2009

08/21/2009

Woke up today suuuuper cranky. Had not been able to fall asleep until 5:30am, and got up at 10:30am. Hit the snooze a couple of times, but I had a haircut appointment at 11:45am, so I pulled myself out of bed. Took the dog for a walk, took a shower, gathered my checks and work shoes, a book, and rode my bike to Garbo's Salon. Got my hurr did, then pedaled to Tokyo Cafe.

I was tired and hungover (par for the course), yet a little less cranky thanks to my new haircut, but sooo ready for some fish. Lunch rush was in swing so I was kind of reluctant. I really prefer to eat lunch at like....oh....2pm. I don't like the general populace, especially 9 to 5 people that eat lunch at the same time, go to work at the same time, clog up the highways together, etc. I decided to not the let the full parking lot interfere with my ingestion of delicious raw tuna. Finding a decent place to lock my bike up was a bit of a chore (this town blows), but I found a spot and went inside. Luckily it was not crazy, and got seated right away.

I was brought a water. I thought about sake and beer, but it was only 12:30pm, and I did work a long day starting at 2pm. I made the responsible decision and had iced tea.
I glanced at the special menu and saw a cup of chilled water melon and ginger soup. It sounded perfect for a hot day.


It was delicious. Just like cool watermelon.... um...water, but with a hint of ginger, and a few chunks of watermelon floating in it. I. wanted. a. quart. I greedily slurped it down like a ragamuffin child falling on a bowl of soups after a month of hunger.

I ordered bigeye tuna and white tuna sashimi, and a cucumber wrapped roll, which consisted of white tuna, salmon, some other fishes, and mango, all wrapped in sliced cucumber.... no rice. I ate slowly as I read a chapter from 'Kitchen Confidential' (yes, I am reading it again. It's my favorite book so shut up!!), listened to the 2 forty/fiftysomething yuppie guys bitch about marriage and divorce and the ilk, and did some people watching. I wished a had had more time and less people there. I kind of in the mood to just camp out, read, and go apeshit tasting several dishes.

I finished my sushi, and I decided to get eel... you know, for dessert? Upon ordering my last bit, I told the server that would be all, a gentle hint to bring the check. I down my eel, and wait.

And wait...............and wait.............

Finally, boy genius comes up to my table and says "Is that everything?"

Fucking servers.

The sad thing is, I can not tip poorly. You have to be AWWWWWWFULLL, to get a bad tip. Now as much as I hold a steadfast disdain for servers (I have to, I'm a cook dammit!!), I completely respect their ability to put up with people. I was a server once or twice, a really bad one. I worked at Starbucks Coffee, as many of you know for 11 goddamned years of my life (FUCK. STARBUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and I was amazing at customer service. People loved me. I somehow thought "If I can sling lattes and be Mr. Congeniality (especially when still half-drunk during morning rush), of course I can wait tables.".

Wrong.

There is a certain natural timing with it. You know, like when to check on your tables. I was always off with that shit. Kinda glad too, because I find the profession demeaning in a certain sense. Hell, I realize the rich own us and pay us to fulfill their silly whims, that's just a fact of life.
But when it comes to customer service, specifically waiting tables, it's a stone's throw away from prostitution. You just don't get laid.

But on the other hand, I find it admirable for someone that needs money (and servers can make money like whoa!), has the balls to put up with the asshole dining public that has such a false sense of entitlement, that they treat the "help" like indentured servants. Having said all that (sorry, I guess martinis turn me into a sort of a wind bag.), I cant tip poorly.

Servers make 2.13 an hour, plus your tips. That's it.

Tip. Your. Server. Well. They remember you when you don't.
Oh yeah by the way, 20% is the standard now for "good" service. Remember the numbers $2.13.
Hasn't changed in years.


Ok, sorry. Got a little ranty.

So I pedaled to the local 7-11 and grabbed a Red Bull, and went to work.

Prep - make garlic truffle hummus, break down a tenderloin for filets and pizza beef, make ancho-peach vinaigrette, chiffonade basil, shred cheese, cut bread, bake off bacon, caramelize onions, pull dough, make pizza sauce.............

I got hungry around 6. Enrique and I did the obligatory "what kinda pie.....?"

I straight up told him, don't care.

We ended up with BBQ chicken, jalapenos, pepperoni (vomit), and mushrooms.

I ate very little. I need to start bringing dinner.

I barely grazed tonight too. All I can recall at this point is one cube of pesto chicken.

I just realized i am only typing spaced sentences now, I am sleepy.

i got cut around 9:15pm, rode home, and settled into some hooch. I have snacked on some boneless buffalo wings from Chili's take-out leftover that Lisa brought home. Ugh. Currently snacking on martini number 2, the olives will be the final dietary nail in the coffin for the day.

I will sleep like the dead tonight, and sleep in late.

I'm thinking about taking Lisa out for Thai for lunch. The spicy Thai fish special at Thai Belknap is calling.........



Ciao!!

1 comment:

  1. I worked in a restaurant for a year and a half. I started as a busser and it was awesome and I rocked it. Then I started serving and I sucked ass. I hated it. Customer service is not an issue with me at all...it's that fucking timing shit you mentioned. I'd get it all wrong. I'll never work in a restaurant ever again. I do miss my barista days though.

    ReplyDelete